Monday, October 03, 2005

Update on "Wrong Writers"

NOTE: YOU MUST READ THE PREVIOUS POST "WRONG WRITERS" BEFORE READING THIS...OTHERWISE, IT WON'T MAKE ANY SENSE. IT CAN BE FOUND HERE.

Well, my ol' e-mail buddy finally replied today. Here is his e-mail and my response...

Received: Monday, October 3, 2005 6:05 PM
From: Him
To: Me

You know your words truly speak for the person you are.
And by the way, I do stand corrected and thank you so much. The word Levee is actually derived from the word levy.

Thanks and have a great evening,


Sent: Monday, October 2, 2005 7:00 PM
From: Me
To: Him

Not to sound crass, but technically, both “levee” and “levy” are derivatives of Old French “levĂ©r”-which means “to raise”. Neither of the words came from the other, but both do have the same origin. I have to admit that is probably closer than many would’ve gotten. Maybe there is some hope afterall.

As for my words, I try my very best to convey who I really am. However, the person I think I am, and the person you think I am will never be reconciled. It is a fundamental difference between the far left and the far right. You think I am a “liberal elite” and I think you are a “neo-con zealot.” Neither of us will ever change the other’s mind, so maybe we should just leave it at that.

Have a wonderful evening, and thanks for the fodder for my Blog!!!



Well, I guess he decided that he wanted the last word. Too bad his "facts" were wrong again. My best guess is that he just tried grabbing at straws and got a little bit lucky on the origins of the two words. Close...but no cigar.

I am not completely thrilled with my reply to this last e-mail, however, I have a headache like you cannot imagine and wasn't able to think of anything more subtle or caustic. I figure he'll write back again, still trying to get the last word. Obviously he doesn't know me well, or he would know that is a futile effort.

One more thing, I find it interesting that in this last e-mail, he actually signed off with his name. He has not done that before. A peace offering? Maybe. I am more apt to believe he is acting like he is taking the high-road. I guess I'm OK with that if it helps him sleep better at night. At least he conceded some measure of being wrong. It's probably as close to vindication as I will come...I can live with that.

For the final update on this, go here.

No comments: