Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Advice to the Holy Rollers

How is it that the far right neo-cons have managed to be the “party of values?” They are on the whole the most un-Christian group I’ve ever seen. I’m a pseudo-atheist and I have more values and morals than they do.

First of all, you can’t claim to be pro-life when you believe in the death penalty, pre-emptive war, and anti-gun control. What really appalls me is these people insist that a couple of cells in a petrie dish are more important than the real humans they could help. If they are so damned against using stem cells, (which, by the way, would otherwise be thrown away) then they don’t have to be treated with the cures they eventually create. Same thing with abortions…if you think they are so wrong, then don’t have one. Otherwise, stay the hell out of other people’s lives. Maybe if they spent half as much time worrying about how they were living their own life as they do worrying about everyone else they could actually be taken seriously.

Here is my advice to the fundamentalist evangelicals out there:

  1. Stop trying to outlaw what other people are doing in the privacy of their own home. As long as it involves consenting adults, it is none of your damned business.
  2. As I said above, if you actually believe an abortion ends life, then don’t have one. Simple as that. It’s a choice to be left up to each woman, not to you and your holy-roller friends.
  3. Repeat this to yourself everyday…A cluster of cells in a lab are NOT a human, but Michael J Fox IS a human and he could really use those cells.
  4. Stop trying to convert me and everyone else. I don’t need your crutch, I get along just fine. I don’t feel the need to have a greater purpose.
  5. Do something Christian for a change…like oh, how about protest the death penalty. Or even donate to the poor. Do something to seem more Christ-like just once. You’ll feel better about yourself, and I’ll feel better about our co-existence.
  6. Stop spewing hatred for those who don’t share your beliefs. There are thousands of religions in this world. What makes you so damned sure that yours is right?
  7. No matter what you think, God did not choose you or anyone else. And he sure as hell hasn’t blessed this country. Nor will he ever. Get over it.
  8. Realize that the hurricanes are not caused because of decadence. They are because you and your damned “compassionate conservatives” aren’t willing to admit that global warming exists and so you keep pumping more and more pollutants into our air.
  9. Admit that Darwin was right, and that the Earth is 4+ billion years old. You look so stupid when you try to say it is 6000 years old.
  10. Stop talking about 'the flood'. It makes you seem more stupid than when you talk about the Earth being 6000 years old.
  11. Get to know a homosexual, without trying to convert him/her. You will soon realize that their life is not a choice. You will also realize they tend to live their life with better morals and values than you do.
  12. Keep your God out of my schools, courts, and government offices. He’s not my god nor is he the god of nearly 30% of the American population.
I know this is hard advice to swallow for many, and I don’t expect any of these arrogant assholes to follow one single word of it. In fact, I’m sure I’ll receive a fair response of hate mail because of this. I don’t care though. It’s is high time that reason and compassion win out over vitriol and hate based in fear, unfamiliarity, and racism.

Oh, what's the use, I'll never change anyone's mind. I guess a squirrel can always have a dream though, can't she?

No comments: